I wanted to design my own Raspberry Pi handheld gaming system. I logged most of my gaming hours in the early '90s. So I have a soft spot for games from that era, and I particularly like the Wii Classic controller for its SNES-like layout.
I knew from a previous project that Wii controllers can communicate over an I2C bus such as the one available on a Raspberry Pi. I chose a 5" LCD screen based on being a similar width as a Wii Classic Controller.
When designing the case I realized the dimensions were roughly square. So I decided to make it square and the name came naturally as an homage to the GameCube.
The case is 160 mm x 160 mm x 37 mm. The face has D-pad, select (-), home, start (+), A, B, X, and Y. The back has the L and R buttons. The bottom has a headphone jack and micro B USB jack for charging. The right side has access to two of the Raspberry Pi USB ports which is good for connecting a keyboard. The top has heat vents, a power switch for the external amp/speaker, a volume knob, a halt button, a power switch, and an LED that indicates battery high or low. In initial tests I am getting about two hours of play time running on only the battery while using the external amp/speaker and with the Wi-Fi turned on.
Purchase the Inkscape design file for the laser cut case here. My case was laser cut by Ponoko using a P2 sheet of Amber Bamboo.
- Wii Classic Controller (only need the main PCB and buttons on face)
- Raspberry Pi 3 with 32GB micro SD card
- Chuanganzhuo 5" LCD screen
- Powerboost 1000C
- PAM8302 mono 2.5W ampliflier
- 8 ohm 0.5W speaker
- 2500 mAh LiPo battery
- 2 green 16mm momentary pushbutton
- 1 red 16mm momentary pushbutton
- panel mount 10 K pot and knob
- 2 panel mount SPDT switches
- panel mount stereo audio extension cable
- panel mount micro B USB extension cable
- ribbon cable for connecting parts
- 4 Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff 6 mm Hex Size, 31 mm Length, M3 Thread Size
- 4 Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff 6 mm Hex Size, 25 mm Length, M3 Thread Size
- 1 pack (only 16 needed) Black-Oxide 18-8 Stainless Steel Phillips Rounded Head Screw M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 10 mm Long, packs of 50
- 5 mm red LED
- 220 ohm resistor
See the hardware assembly notes here.
See the software notes here.